2D Flour Sack Hula Hooping - Sketch

When I got this task I instantly thought 'oh no not another flour sack' because of how badly my first flour sack animation went. However, this also motivated me to redeem myself. This task was to animate a flour sack hula hooping, which at first seems simple but the continuous loop can make it challenging.


First I drew the key frames, and I used different colours for the sack and the hoop so I could easily edit them if I wanted to, and so I wouldn't get too confused about where all the lines went. One of the most challenging aspects of this task was having the action in one spot so I had to draw over the same spot multiple times, making the build up of lines very confusing.


After that I added my inbertweens to make the movement more fluid. The main challenge of this task is making the action continuous, so it is crucial to make the inbertweens line up with the previous frames, and to keep the same volume and shapes, as well as keeping an eye on timing.


After adding my inbertweens I noticed my hula hoop looked like it was sliding rather than going in a circular rotation, and realised I needed to make it go up and down. By thinking about perspective, I was able to to make the illusion of the hoop going round the flour sack. However, after spending time on this I had found I'd made it rotate the opposite way that the flour sack was moving. 

 

So, I redrew the hoop in the opposite positions for the movement of the flour sack and hoop to line up. I think it is now ready for line art and colouring.

Comments

Popular Posts