2D Water Balloon - Colours, Highlights and Shadows

After finishing the line art for my water balloon I had the task of colouring in my scene. I tried to use the 'colour and texture' layer, but really struggled with getting it to colour just my water balloon without going over the lines. So I resorted to using the 'fill stroke' tool on a new layer so I could select each water balloon frame and colour them in individually.
I used turquoise and orange for my scene as they are nearly contrasting colours, that way the water balloon stands out but it also isn't too much of a contrast.
I hated the black lines on my original animation so I changed the colours to darker orange and turquoise. I then added highlights so my animation reflects the appearance of a real water balloon.
Here is my final version with shadows and highlights. I used more complex shapes in the highlights for the appearance of water moving around inside the balloon, and then I used simple shadows to give the balloon dimension. Overall, I am happy with the result, however I still see some flaws in the line art and movement of the balloon. (for example, in the last few bounces it looks like the balloon is pushing itself off from the floor in an unnatural manner)

After more experience doing animation I would like to return to this task to see how I improve.

Also, whilst doing this exercise, I accidentally turned off my line art layer and found I really liked the look of my scene without lines. It's minimalist style stands out and I might experiment with this in later projects.

Comments

Popular Posts