Sketchbook Freshers Week: Toy Story

For Freshers Week I had the theme 'Toy Story' so I had to put my toy in different environments and draw it. I chose to draw my stingray toy as it was quite small and had lots of interesting shapes and curves. In this week I experimented with backgrounds, styles, media, and perspectives.

Day 1


For day 1 I kept it quite simple as it was the first day and I wanted to get used to the form of the stingray. Additionally, I kept the environment simple by placing the stingray in my room. I added some colour because the scene seemed a bit boring, however I regretted this decision later because it became less of a simple sketch and more of a 'final piece'.

Day 2 and 3


On day 2 I tried getting a different angle of the stingray by placing it against a window. It was also raining so the detail helped me explore perspective and the layers of foreground and background. I used a pen to make the foreground stand out whilst the background is done in pencil.

I attempted a more realistic style on day 3 and changed up the environment by taking my stingray to a cafe. I also added a caption to make it more comedic, as the realistic style felt a bit traditional and dull.

Day 4


On day 4 I was sick of the monotone drawings so I did an illustrative design of my stingray at the beach. I love the bold colours, and the expression of the stingray, however I didn't have any good quality pens so my colouring turned out very messy.

Day 5


At day 5 I was struggling so I placed my stingray in my bathroom and went back to basics with a one-tone sketch. I chose the bathroom because of the large mirror, which became an added complication. I think I need to work a bit more on the perspective in this sketch.

Day 6


For day 6 I went to the library and placed my stingray in between the books. In the previous sketches I had been quite quick with my mark making as I wanted to show the fluidity of the stingrays curves. However, for this sketch I took my time and this helped me get the correct perspective.

Comments

Popular Posts