Sketchbook Week 1: Strangers In A Day

In this week I had to find a stranger and ask them what to draw on that day. I then repeated this everyday for the whole week. 

Day 1



On day 1 I was told to draw 'a cat going into space and meeting an alien species'. This was quite a lot to fit into one sketch so I ended up making a few panels for the story. Instead of drawing a basic cat, I drew my character 'duvet cat' being inspired by NASA to go to space. He finds a square planet that makes him turn '8-bit' style. He then meets the aliens on the planet that resemble the square shape and also the round suspended liquid that circles the planet, and then discovers that when the liquid goes over him it changes what his body looks like again. I really like my concept and design in this 'sketch', and my use of just black, white and red colours to tell the story.

Quick Concept Sketches of 'Duvet Cat'

Day 2 and 3


For day 2 I was told to draw a 'mad scientist' and on day 3 a 'cacti in a desert'. I kept it simple and just used pencil as I wanted to focus on dynamic shapes and poses. To make the cacti exciting I made it into more of a character by adding an expression and exaggerated form.

Day 4, 5, and 6


For these days I had to draw a 'flying cacti', a fish, and 'R2D2 wearing a body warmer and a backwards baseball cap'. The R2D2 was obviously very detailed in it's description so I couldn't really interpret it in my own way, however I explored ways to exaggerate form and shape. For the fish I used lots of curves and extra circles to mimic liquid.

Day 7


On day 7 I asked a stranger who was drawing, so they showed me one of their characters to draw for that day. I wanted to explore this character more, but only got round to a simple pose. I tried to interpret his character in my own style, and would've liked to look at colours and more styles.

Comments

Popular Posts