3D Environment - Modeling Objects in Maya

After modeling my buildings, I made some objects to go into my environment. I struggled with these more than the buildings, as they have more awkward shapes. 

I first modeled the wheel. I based the wheel off an image where the stokes were quite thick. Originally I was going to use thin cylinders as the stokes, but as they were thick I had to cut out the shapes. I made the holes by intersecting some prisms with a thin cylinder (the wheel) and I used a difference boolean. I then edited the edges so they curved with the wheel.
 I could've used long cuboids, which would've been much easier.


Wheel Model Front


Wheel Model Wireframe

REFERENCE


I also modeled a barrel from a cylinder. I made lots of edge loops, and selected a few to pull out for the curved shape. I also used the edge loops to extrude some details such as the ribbing down the barrel. I also added some nails by using small spheres, and I extruded a cylinder into the barrel for the hole.


Barrel Model Front and Top


Barrel Model Front and Bottom


Barrel Model Wireframe

REFERENCE


Rather than spend too much time making lots of objects, I decided I'd just make a few and then duplicate them and scatter them around the scene. This will also save time when I texture the objects.

Comments

Popular Posts