Motion Studies - Waterfall Animation

For my scene I have to produce 5 character animations, and 1 sfx animation. I decided to start off with the sfx animation as it would be easier to do and it would get me back into the hang of animating.

I found this waterfall frames guide, which helped with where I placed my waves and with the timing.


I first drew out the main structure of the water. In the guide it doesn't move at all, but I wanted it to move a little, so I changed the shape of it every 2 frames. I also roughly drew the waves as they fell down the water. I needed to make it a loop, so I had to have the waves match up in a sequence. I also had this match up with the splash at the bottom.


I then coloured the waves, which at first I made the same colour as the splash. However, the waves stood out a little too much, so I made them a little lighter than the splash. I picked out the colours from the background I had painted. My background has lots of tones in, however I kept the water animation very clean and sharp as it would've been difficult to animate in the painted style. 


In TVPaint I added in my painted background to see how the tones looked and if it fit in the scene. I think it turned out well; the colours match, the animation fits in the right place, however it does stand out quite a bit.


To make it blend a bit I changed the opacity on the animation. I'm not sure if it looks a little weird, however I do think it looks more like water. I might keep the opacity edited version in the final scene.

Comments

Popular Posts