Experimental Project - Jooe Dancing Tests

As a start, I did some paint on glass tests for my experimental film. I created a soundtrack which included a bunch of kpop songs, so I already had sections for each clip. For the painting on glass, I focused on Momoland's section, where it plays their song 'BBoom BBoom'.

I followed my storyboard, and chose elements from it to do this experiment with. I first did the Momoland logo, as I wanted to incorporate this into my film somewhere. I struggled to get the icon lined up and symmetrical because the camera was upside down, and I couldn't edit it. I might edit it in post to make it more symmetrical. I think the animation goes a little slow, as I would've liked it to go from slow to fast. 


I then animated the line 'great!' from the song I am using in my film. Momoland is known for being very upbeat and happy, so I wanted to include this line as it is important to them as a group. I chose bright colours to reflect this, and they use these colours in the 'BBoom BBoom' music video. I made the animation quite fast as I wanted it to be a transition piece.


After experimenting with paint on glass, I wanted to animate the main dancer in the group. Her (Jooe) dance moves are very well known, and have become what Momoland is known for. Since it is so important, I had to include it in my film. I first animated the dance in TVPaint, as I wasn't sure how I would do it with paint on glass. However, my goal for this project is to create everything by hand, so I didn't like that I had made a 2D version.


I also added the 'great!' animation behind it, to see if it worked. I like the effect, however I do want to use the 'great!' as a transition piece into the next song. I do think the yellow works well as a background colour, and I like having two animations overlap each other.


After making the dance animation in TVPaint, I wanted to make it by hand so I printed out all the frames, put some acetate over the top, and painted over the frames individually using acrylic paint. I used more reds and bright yellows as it was difficult to keep consistency if I kept mixing the colours, and I wanted more vibrant colours that matched the colours from my 'great!' animation.

Jooe Cel Frames

After creating them, I scanned them in and put them together in Photoshop. It was quite difficult to get the background out of the images, but I quite like the random dots of the white as it looks like old film and shows that it was handmade.



I then added my 'great!' animation with the dance animation. I found that the colours were so similar that it got confusing on what was what, so I had to put the dance cycle to the side. I also added a second one at the other side to keep it symmetrical, and to reflect the clean appearance of  kpop music videos. As the yellow comes up, I made the dance cycles become silhouettes, which I think worked well however they are too dark. 



As I edit my experimental animation, I will also edit where these animations fit in. They may be in different areas in the final piece depending on what other elements I create.

Comments

Popular Posts