Coming back to blogging and Case Closed!

I have been neglecting this blog...quite a lot. It's already been a year and a bit. I got so caught up in my work! Last year was my 2nd Year studying Animation at Uni and I pushed myself by pitching a film which got through! I ended up directing it and it got finished! It was a big accomplishment that I am very proud of, and it's pushing me to be even better this year!

This year I did not pitch, as I want to focus on my roles in art directing and animation. Unfortunately I didn't get an art direction role, but I managed to get the role of Lead Animator on a film called Case Closed! This film has a very unique style - it's basically a Motion Graphics style but the whole film is a chase through a train with dynamic shapes and perspective, which makes my role rather difficult! However, I have been really enjoying learning how to tackle this style into something we can animate that will work and look good. We had to produce a 30 second vertical slice in 3 weeks in this past module, which we finished, however it wasn't how I hoped it would look. We had a lot of issues with how the animation looked as being to 'basic', which I agreed on, and many animators on our team struggled to animate the vertical slice.

Therefore, over the Christmas holidays I have been developing the animation style with research into the motion graphic style and techniques.

Here is my first test of the main character's head sliding along. It is a weird subject to choose but I wanted to practice drawing the characters and I needed a simple motion.


I added a smear in the middle frame to add more motion and I used less frames near the end of the sequence as this is quite usual with motion graphic animation. However, the animation didn't show that much power and the effect on the object wasn't what I hoped for.

So, I did a second test where I added more 'drama'.


Well, not drama...I added more smear frames and a 'bounce' or over-wobble at the end of the sequence. I still thinks the bounce needs to be altered a little to achieve the look of all the force on the object. I will further develop this in the next few weeks and do a few tests of keys and scenes with timing charts so I can lead the animation team in the right direction for the film.

Comments

Popular Posts